Friday, December 31, 2010

Lost in ... Translation

One of the many reasons why I love teaching english:
When asked to write about a favorite vacation, one student wrote:
'My favorite vacation when I was eight years old. I went with my family to the island. When I was there I used everything to enjoy. I used my boat, sand, rock and my brain.'

I love that language holds more than words, it holds ideas and concepts - which can not be translated word for word. In order to re-explain your own experience in a new language, you have to learn new ways to construct ideas. And like anything worth having, it takes a lot of trial before figuring it out.

The following should be read in the voice of Demitri Martin...if you can...
'The food was not very expensive in fact, it was delicious. I have experenced about Syrian food, tradition and culture and their hopitality and If the god wihes I will visit them again, I hope God wihes.'

1 comment:

Spiro said...

love the demetri style.